Tabern Property Consultants t/a Stapleton Derby logo

Handling Problems

Handling Problems

Search for properties

To buy or to rent?

Property type

Minimum price

Maximum price

Minimum bedrooms

Handling problems and maintenance issues

We hope your tenancy is trouble free; however, problems can occur from time to time. The following explains what to do to in the event of encountering an issue with your home:

As a contracted tenant you take on the responsibility for the security and welfare of the property you occupy during your tenancy. When problems arise with your home it is up to you to take all necessary steps to minimise any potential damage to the property in the first instance, after establishing that there is no immediate danger to you or your family. For example, in the event of a severe water leak we would expect you to turn the water supply off at the stopcock and then contact us.

You should report all maintenance issues immediately using FixFlo; the Tabern property Consultants maintenance reporting system [LINK]. Once reported this will generate a response from us based on the severity of the issue in question. Please note that your rental payment does not include emergency call out cover. The contractors we use are very good and will always attempt to get to issues with our houses promptly, but where an issue occurs at weekend, it may be Monday before a contractor can attend. This includes boiler malfunctions.

The FIXFLO system can help you to resolve a minor problem by taking you through various steps and suggesting simple solutions you may not have considered.

It goes without saying that we do not replace the Emergency Services and as such if you do require Fire, Police or Ambulance - call 999

In the event of smelling Gas:

  • Get fresh air immediately - open all doors and windows to ventilate the room
  • Switch off any suspect appliance and do not use it again
  • Turn off the gas supply at the mains
  • Call the National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999
  • If you are feeling ill visit your GP or the hospital immediately and tell them that your
  • symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning
  • Call us as per procedure above to report the issue

Noisy Neighbours or a disturbance of the peace:

Should you encounter any issues with ‘noisy’ neighbours or anyone causing a disturbance of your peace and quiet enjoyment of your home, you have two options:

Option 1

  • Call the Police on the non-emergency number – 101
  • 101 will determine your location and connect you to the relevant police force. If you are on a boundary between two or more forces, you will be asked which one you wish to be connected to. If the incident is recognised as an emergency the operator will put you through to 999
  • Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can access the service via text phone on 18001 101
  • Report the issue if it is an immediate nuisance or threat to you

Option 2

Report the problem to the Environmental Health Department at St Helens Council on 01744 676338 or email who can take action on your behalf

Please note as a Letting Agent we have no statutory powers to do anything about these matters for you and you must initiate action yourself by contacting the above. In all cases please report the situation to us for logging purposes.